Walk towards Social Anxiety to shrink it
I always remember the saying 'fears shrinks when you walk towards it' and this is certainly true of social anxiety. When you feel socially anxious, your instinct may be to avoid as many social events as possible. But by doing this, you are reaffirming to yourself that social events are dangerous and should be avoided. Instead, and step by step, put yourself in the situations you're most afraid of.
What You'll Need
- An open mind and events to attend
What You'll Do
- Start by attending a party, for example, but just staying for 20 minutes.
- Next time, see if you can stay longer, or talk to more people.
- Be kind to yourself no matter how you think it went.
- It gets easier as your amygdala (the part of the brain responsible for fight or flight) gets the message that social situations are not dangerous.
Tips & Warnings
- Always do this step by step and remember you are brave just for showing up.
Report this health tip as inappropriateGood Zing does not review third-party tips for the accuracy of any kind, including health or medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations. All tips are submitted by users and should in no way be substituted for professional or medical advice. Good Zing does not provide health or medical advice, diagnosis, treatment or prescription recommendations.